Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.co.uk
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
Home > Architecture > Great Houses > Holland House

Holland House Gallery

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 51 pictures in our Holland House collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456 Featured Holland House Print

Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456

HOLLAND HOUSE, Kensington, London. An interior view of the bombed library at Holland House with readers apparently choosing books regardless of the damage. Photographed in 1940. The House was heavily bombed during World War II and remained derelict until 1952 when parts of the remains were preserved.
Holland House, originally known as Cope Castle, was a great house in Kensington in London, situated in what is now Holland Park. Created in 1605 in the Elizabethan or Jacobean style for the diplomat Sir Walter Cope, the building later passed to the powerful Rich family, then the Fox family, under whose ownership it became a noted gathering-place for Whigs in the 19th century. The house was largely destroyed by German firebombing during the Blitz in 1940; today only the east wing and some ruins of the ground floor still remain.
In 1940, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth attended the last great ball held at the house. A few weeks later, on 7 September, the German bombing raids on London that would come to be known as the Blitz began. During the night of 27 September, Holland House was hit by twenty-two incendiary bombs during a ten-hour raid. The house was largely destroyed, with only the east wing, and, miraculously, almost all of the library remaining undamaged. Surviving volumes included the sixteenth-century Boxer Codex.
Holland House was granted Grade I listed building status in 1949, under the auspices of the Town and Country Planning Act 1947; the Act sought to identify and preserve buildings of special historic importance, prompted by the damage caused by wartime bombing. The building remained a burned-out ruin until 1952, when its owner, Giles Fox-Strangways, 6th Earl of Ilchester, sold it to the London County Council (LCC). The remains of the building passed from the LCC to its successor, the Greater London Council (GLC) in 1965, and upon the dissolution of the GLC in 1986 to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Today, the remains of Holland House form a backdrop for the open air Holland Park Theatre, home of Opera Holland Park. The YHA (England and Wales) "London Holland Park" youth hostel is now located in the house. The Orangery is now an exhibition and function space, with the adjoining former Summer Ballroom now a restaurant, The Belvedere. The former ice house is now a gallery space

© Historic England Archive

'Rogers' Seat and Inigo Jones' Gateway, Holland House', c1876. Creator: Unknown Featured Holland House Print

'Rogers' Seat and Inigo Jones' Gateway, Holland House', c1876. Creator: Unknown

'Rogers' Seat and Inigo Jones' Gateway, Holland House', c1876. Rogers Seat, named after Samuel Rogers, poet and banker and comissioned gateway of Portland stone by Inigo Jones, 1629 in Jacobean country estate, Holland Park built in 1605 by Sir Walter Cope, the ruins are Grade I listed. From "Old and New London: A Narrative of Its History, Its People, and Its Places. The Western and Northern Studies", by Edward Walford. [Cassell, Petter, Galpin & Co., London, Paris & New York]

© The Print Collector/Heritage Images

'York House in 1795', (1881). Creator: Unknown Featured Holland House Print

'York House in 1795', (1881). Creator: Unknown

'York House in 1795', (1881). York House in Whitehall, London, was designed by James Paine and built between 1755 and 1758. It was refurbished by Henry Holland for Prince Frederick, Duke of York, who lived there from 1788 to 1792. The building was later the headquarters of the Scotland Office, and has also been known as Melbourne House, and more recently Dover House. From Old and New London: A Narrative of Its History, Its People, and Its Places. Westminster and the Western Suburbs, by Edward Walford, Vol. III. [Cassell, Petter, Galpin & Co., London, Paris & New York, 1881]

© The Print Collector / Heritage-Images