Cornish tin mines, 19th century
Cornish tin mines, 19th-century artwork. These mines are in the parish of St Just in Penwith, Cornwall, UK. 19th-century tin mines in this area date back to 1721. The workings extended out under the sea for nearly a kilometre, and some of the tunnels were only a few metres below the seabed. The mines employed hundreds of men and reached a depth of 400 metres. Thousands of tons of tin and copper were produced, but most of the mines had closed by the early 20th century. Artwork from the 13th volume (first period of 1894) of the French popular science weekly 'La Science Illustree'.
© SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
19th-century tin mine, Cornwall
19th-century tin mine, Cornwall. Artwork of miners and walkways at the Botallack Copper and Tin Mine at St Just, Cornwall, England. This mine, under various names, dates back to 1721. Undersea excavations were reported from 1778, and this artwork illustrates the situation in around 1862. The workings extended out under the sea for nearly a whole kilometre, and some of the tunnels were only a few metres below the seabed. In 1863 the mine employed nearly 300 men, over 100 women, and over 100 boys. The mine had reached a depth of 400 metres. The fortunes of the mine fluctuated over the years, and eventually it closed in 1914. During its history, it produced thousands of tons of tin and copper. Artwork from Mines and Miners (L. Simonin, 1868).
© SHEILA TERRY/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Polruan, Cornwall, May 1949
View of the Cornish fishing village Polruan, May 1949. The Polruan-Fowey ferry landing can be seen in the image and a number of small fishing boats are moored up in the Fowey Estuary.
© STEAM Museum of the GWR
1940s, 1949, Boat, Cornish, Fishing, Fishing Village, Fowey, Fowey Estuary, May, Polruan, River Fowey, Spring, Village