Woman & Aspidistra Photo
A woman in an enormous hat festooned with plumes & fabric sits in the garden outside her door. She rests her arm upon a small, 3 legged table on which stands an aspidistra in a pot.
© Mary Evans Picture Library 2015 - https://copyrighthub.org/s0/hub1/creation/maryevans/MaryEvansPictureID/10140352
1905, Arm, Aspidistra, Cast, Circa, Costume, Door, Edwardian, Enormous, Fabric, Festooned, Flowers, Garden, Hat, Historical, History, Iron, Legged, Out Side, People, Pla Nts, Plant, Plumes, Pot, Rests, Sits, Small, Stands, Stone, Table, Woman, Women
Two women milking cows in a field, St Just in Penwith, Cornwall. Late 1800s
A stereoscopic view of two women milking cows in a field in the St Just in Penwith area. Three farm buildings are in the background. It is possible that the cows being milked are Welsh Blacks. This breed of cattle is said to have been very similar to the now extinct breed, the Cornish Black, sharing the same characteristics of being smaller in size than most cattle and having white horns with black tips. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan.
© From the collection of the RIC
Spectators at Birchington Sports Day
VAD Hospital patients watching the Three-legged Race for hospital staff at the Sports Day organised by the Quex Park VAD Hospital and its Annexe at St Michael's in Birchington. The event was held at the Woodford House School field to raise money for the Birchington War Depot which provided articles to the local hospitals. 8.14s. was raised. The Three-legged Race was event No. 7 on the programme. The Quex Park VAD Hospital opened on 15 October 1914 and closed on 31 January 1919. The hospital was run by Kent/178, the Birchington Detachment. The Commandant was Hannah Powell-Cotton (1881-1964), wife of Major Percy HG Powell-Cotton (1866-1940) of Quex Park, founder of the Powell-Cotton Museum. Major Powell-Cotton was the VAD Transport Officer for the Isle of Thanet area, responsible for organising the transport of patients from the stations to the local hospitals. Date: 1918
© The Powell-Cotton Museum Collection / Mary Evans Picture Library