Devonshire Coronet, c.1870 (diamond, silver & gold)
3060237 Devonshire Coronet, c.1870 (diamond, silver & gold) by English School, (19th century); Collection of the Duke of Devonshire, Chatsworth House, UK; (add.info.: An antique diamond tiara composed of seven graduated foliate clusters with stylised serpent base on a diamond three-row bandeau, mounted in silver and gold, circa 1870, 8cm high, forming a necklace, brooches and bandeau
It was worn on special occasions by Evelyn, Duchess of Devonshire (1870-1960), wife of the 9th Duke, and Mistress of the Robes to Queen Mary between 1910-53, and later by Mary, Duchess of Devonshire (1895-1988), wife of the 10th Duke (and the present Duke's mother), who was Mistress of the Robes to H.M. The Queen between 1953-66.
); © Devonshire Collection, Chatsworth; Reproduced by permission of Chatsworth Settlement Trustees; English, out of copyright.
© Copyright: www.bridgemanimages.com
Standing stones. This is Castlerigg Stone Circle, Cumbria, England. It is on the level top of a hill in the Lake District. There are 38 stones making a circle about 30 metres across, with other stones within the circle. The tallest stone is more than 2 metres tall. It is thought that it was built in around 3000 BC, the later part of the Stone Age. It is believed that it was used by the prehistoric peoples of the area for ceremonial or religious purposes. It may also have been used in astronomy, as several astronomical alignments can be observed with the stones. The site is owned by the National Trust.
© JEREMY WALKER/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
The 'Lectern' - Talerstolen - at Skamlingsbanken, Denmark
The 'Lectern' (Talerstolen) at Skamlingsbanken, a large hill located in Vejstrup Parish, Jutland, Denmark, between Kolding and Christiansfeld. Erected in 1903 and designed by Lorenz Frolich and made by Niels Larsen Stevns, the monument tells (with national, Christian and Nordic symbols) the struggle for the mother tongue. Several major historic public meetings took place here during and after the disputes over the territory of Schleswig-Holstein. When peace returned, there was an exchange of territories between the kingdom and the Duchy of Southern Jutland. As a result, eight non-Jutland parishes in the northern part of Tyrstrup Herred, including Vejstrup Parish, were transferred to the kingdom and Skamlingsbanken thereafter fell within the borders of Denmark.
© Mary Evans / Grenville Collins Postcard Collection